Monday, March 2, 2009

Quick Thoughts on Dollhouse 1.3


SPOILERISH STUFF AHEAD:

* Much of the bad in this episode, especially the scenes involving the would-be-tortured pop starlet. I got the concept, but the character was off.
* Fortunately, more of the good. I'm digging both the evolution of Boyd as our POV character and the in-character attention to Echo's emerging ability to think "outside the pieces [Dollhouse] gives her."
* The Echo/Sierra friendship -- and their apparent recognition that they should lie about it -- hints toward something bigger for the remaining Dolls. Was this why Alpha spared Echo?
* The reveal of the "newest" Doll was done pretty well, both in story (it confirms a statement by DeWitt) and in execution. Made for a nice plot beat to liven up the middle of the episode.

What can I say? I'm still kinda hopeful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am also hopeful. but i'm wondering why my shows make me wait so long for a good story.

this ep was kind of awful for me, except in the way of demonstrating Echo's abilities and introducing the 2nd 'active'. I usually don't give a show 6 epi's to decide if it's a waste of my time, but I s'pose I'll give Mr. Whedon the benefit of the doubt.

Mace Elaine said...

I am also hopeful. I am completely intrigued by the slight nod at the end of the episode.

Also, I watch this on Hulu, so I'm constantly behind. It's torture seeing the name of your post in my RSS feed and not being able to read it for days.